The Great Vernesto

My name is Vernesto and I am a magician performing in Durban, South Africa.

I will be updating the blog with posts where I will write about my experiences of my various performances, with the hope that other aspiring magicians will be able to learn from it and ultimately improve their own performance. Please note that the dates of these posts might be a few days after the actual events.

The Great Vernesto will honour the Magician’s Code and will NOT reveal any methods to any magic tricks.

Please also check out my other blog at:

http://vernestoshow.blogspot.com/


Monday, November 22, 2010

My First Script

I decided to share the script that I wrote for ‘My first Show’. This is by no means a written masterpiece and most probably contains a lot of grammatical errors, but it serves as a very good guideline (I will not reside the script word for word).

The opening joke comes from an eManuscript called ‘Classic Magic Jokes’. I have reviewed this eManuscript as well as two of the effects that I will be performing under the ‘Review’ section on the right hand side of this blog.

The Script:

Thank you! Good evening and welcome it’s great to be here. When the organisers asked me to perform, they said it will be for a bigger crowd of hard working tired people and they thought it will be good to give you some time to sleep. But you won’t, because I’m about to keep your mind focussed.

The human mind is a powerful thing, especially the imagination. Imagination is most powerful when we are kids and after a busy year of doing “grown up stuff”, I think it will be fun to some “kid stuff” tonight.

It all starts with this beach ball. I’m going to through this ball into the audience and you will be passing the ball to one another whilst the DJ plays some music. When ever he wants, the music will be stopped and I will invite who ever is holding on to the ball to join me on stage. Let’s go. DJ! Music please!

Wonderful! Ladies and gentleman give him/her a huge round of applause!

PREMONITION

Good evening. What is your name? Thank you for assisting me. Did you have quite a vivid imagination as a kid? Well, you are going to need a VERY vivid imagination tonight. I have a gift for you. Can you see what it is? You see, this is actually a deck of cards. What colour is it? Very good! I want you to take this deck of cards and shuffle them up. Whilst he/she does that, I need…What are you doing? You need to take the cards out of the box first. That’s much better! Now, I want you to turn the cards face up, go through the deck and take out your favourite card. Great! Show it to everybody. Can all of you see what which card it is? Well, it seems we have some real “old people” in the audience tonight. Just tell them which card it is. So it is the (e.g. 3 of Hearts). Take that card and put it in your pocket. Good. Now put the rest of the cards back in the box and close it up and put it in your pocket. Excellent! Now I want you to take that deck of cards on the table and remove your card. As you go though the cards, hold them face up, put one card on top of the other and count out loud as you go through the deck. When you come to your card, just put it to the side. Remember, you are looking for the (e.g. 3 of Hearts). Lets all of us count with her. One, two, three…fifty, fifty one. Didn’t you find your card? And we only counted 51 cards. Normally a deck of cards has 52 cards. Did I tell you which card to choose? So it was your own free choice? You see this afternoon before I came here I was also playing with a deck of cards, only mine was a real one. I also shuffled the deck and I had a strange feeling about a certain card which I removed from the deck, and placed inside my pocket. That card was also the (e.g. 3 of Hearts). Thank you ladies and gentleman give him/her a round of applause.

Before you go, I need you to choose another volunteer for me. I need a lady to assist me. Go ahead and choose any lady for me and then you can go have a seat. Thank you! Come on up and join me on stage. Good evening. What’s your name? Has anyone ever read your mind? Have any of you ever had this experience where the phone rings and before you even answer it, you just…know…who it is. Then you answer the phone and it turns out to be the very person you though it was going to be. Have any of you had that experience before. Yeah. It’s called CALLER ID. Cellphones! It’s a wonderful thing. But seriously, it does happen. Sometimes a person’s name that you haven’t seen in years pops into your mind and soon after that, out of the blue, you meet the person again. This is a real technique that the Gypsies of old learned to perfect, and that eventually evolved into the technique that the Psychics of today use. I believe that all Psychics are fake. I use the same techniques that they do. They use it to manipulate people’s emotions for personal gain and I use it to entertain. It is also a really good technique when you’re married. I mean, reading your woman’s mind. Wow! Happy marriage guaranteed. But my wife has been great. She has been very patient with me whist I practice all these things on her. I don’t know why some men always talk badly about their wives. I was at a function the other day and this guy was complaining about his wife. I told him: “Well my wife’s an angel”. He replied: Well you’re lucky. Mine is still alive”.

ENVISION

Don’t look so stressed. I’m not going to read your deepest, darkest thoughts. I’m going to give you this little card. I chose a small card, because I don’t want anyone to think that there are hidden mirrors somewhere that will allow me to see what you are drawing. There is a little block on here and I want you to draw any picture you want. It can be a flower, a house, a heart, a circle, anything. It does not have to be a masterpiece, just a simple drawing. I’m going to attempt to read her mind and hopefully draw the same picture that she drew. Are you done? Great! I’m holding this face down and slipping it into this envelope. Take this envelope and seal it. Great! Hold it close to your chest. Let’s track back for a second. I gave you a small card, you drew your own picture on it, and the card was placed in an envelope which you are now holding against your chest. Wonderful!

I need you to relax. Breathe deeply. Imagine that there is a canvas in front of you. Now imagine the picture that you drew materialising on this canvas. Good. I have some mood music to assist me with this. That’s good. I’m getting a few lines here. Keep focussing on the picture. Excellent! Okay. I think I’ve got it.

Before I show you mine, you’ve got to show me yours. Hand me that envelope and let’s see what you drew. Now, some people might not be able to see it very well, so explain to them what you drew. Yeah. It kind of looks like my drawing doesn’t it?

Thank you. Give him/her a round of applause!

It is interesting to note that in the first trick I was able to predict the future, by having the card in my pocket even before it was named. And now, with drawing this picture I was able to see the past. When we use our imagination, time plays no factor. We are actually able to bend the laws of time and space. We are about to that. I’m going to need four volunteers. (Choose four people). Will the four of you please come to the stage?

BETWEEN THE PALMS

Welcome. Will each of you just tell me your names? Thank you for taking part in this little experiment. I’m going to riffle through these cards, and I want you to call stop when ever you want. Take that card for me and keep it between your hands. You will be our guardian. Make sure that card does not leave your hand. I’m going to have three more cards selected. Will you once again call stop when ever you want. That’s one, two and three cards. What I need you to do is to write your name as well as the time and date on that card. The two of you, will you both remember your cards. Please show them to everyone. Show your signed card to them as well. Great! I’ll now have these cards returned to the deck.

And now for the experiment! I’m going to see how quickly I can find your cards. Time me and see how quickly it happens.

How long was that? Not bad. But we need to confirm. What was your card> Yeah! I got!

Now the next one I need to find even quicker.

That’s was one second. Even better don’t you think? But we need to confirm. What was your card? Yeah! I got!

Finally, in order for me to find you card in less than one second, I need to bend the laws of time and space. Count me down. Three, two, one…

Done!

You see I did find your card in three seconds and yours in one, but there has been one card between his hands from before you even signed your name on the card. What was your card?

Well what do you know? It’s been there all along!

Give them a round of applause everyone!

Everything we’ve seen so far proves that the human mind is powerful. I’m going to need a guy to volunteer. Let’s have you come forward for us.

CLUTCH

I’m going to be as hands off with this trick as I possibly can. Take these cards and shuffle them up as much as you can. Take out any card you want. Don’t let me see. Show it to everyone. Hand me the rest of the deck back. Insert your card anywhere you want, but not all the way. I want you to make sure that your card is going into the deck. In fact, push it in yourself. Shuffle the cards again. Hands the deck back to me and grab that card box from the table. Shake it. Make sure there are no extra cards inside the box. Hold the opening to the audience so that they can see there are no extra cards in the box. I’m going to place all the cards in the deck and seal the deck. Is the deck closed? You take the box and put it in your shirt pocket.

Let’s track back. You shuffled the cards. You took out a card and pushed it back into the deck yourself. The cards are in a box in your pocket. Can you confirm that there are no cards up my sleeves? Excellent!

One of the greatest illusionists of our time was Harry Houdini. He could make an elephant disappear from a theatre filled with people. He didn’t have any fancy cameras or machinery to do this, but he understood something about the human mind. What they eye sees and the ear hears the mind believes.

(Do the move).

What was the card?

That’s not all. Take out the box from your pocket. Is it still sealed? Open it up. Are the cards still in there?

Thank you for your time. You may have a seat.

Ladies and gentleman I thank you for your time. It was an honour to entertain you tonight. Enjoy the rest of the evening. For my last trick, I’ll disappear off the stage. Thank you and good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment